Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chapter 7

This chapter was about assessing and reporting student achievement. It discussed the difference in diagnostic, formative, and summative assessment. Diagnostic is assessing the knowledge of the students before the new instruction. Formative is what the students learn during the instruction. Summative is what is learned after the instruction. All three assessments are beneficial to teachers to base where the students are in reference to their learning. It also discusses different ways to assess by using rubrics, observation forms, of checklists.

1 comment:

  1. I never realized the great difference in the types of assessment, and especially when it is necessary to do each of them. I usually do a couple formative and a big Summative assessment, but the authors discouraged this because if the students mess up the summative assessments, then their whole grade is lowered dramatically. I found it interesting that they encouraged doing a system where the students could drop 1 test, or count only 8 out of the 10 quizzes. I had this in a few of my college classes, and I really appreciated that when I had a bad day, couldn't study as much as I wanted to, or just messed up a lot! I want to do this for my students, too. Also, using 1 page of notes for a test, or a note card, or open note tests are really helpful and I think they are better than expecting the students to memorize a lot of information only to forget it. After all, today I end up google-ing a lot of things anyway, so we really live in a time where we do not need all these facts stored in our heads as much.

    ReplyDelete