Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chapter 6

This chapter discusses instructional plans. A lot of this chapter was about instructional units. The part that I think was very beneficial was about how to plan and develop a unit of instruction. It walked you through steps to create one. The first step was to select a theme or topic that would be suitable. The second step was to set the goals of the unit and create an overview. Then you are to figure out the instructional objectives and the detailed instructional procedure. Lastly, the preassessment and assessment of the student learning and the material needed will need to be provided. Each step was detailed and basically walked you through everything that would be needed in that step. This will benefit me when I am a teacher because I will have a basic idea and outline of what is necessary in a Unit of instruction.

2 comments:

  1. In another methods class here at Bradley, the professor encouraged us to plan our assessments prior to creating our daily lesson plans. For me, this order works better and makes use of a strategy I think was described by Stephen Covey, "Begin with the end in mind." I guess that is where the art of planning comes in. To each, his or her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addendum:
    Actually, the text does mention this method, calling it the 'backward design' (p.238).

    ReplyDelete