Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chapter 4

This chapter is about planning and managing the classroom. It discusses how to design the physical layout of the classroom. It should be flexible so that students can accomplish tasks of different varieties. The students also need to feel welcome in the classroom and they will be treated and accepted as the individuals that they are. It also talks about getting to know your students as people. You need to learn the students names first of all and they make sure to get to know them better through sharing activities . Also, it may be beneficial to have conversations with students outside of the classroom and have conferences an interviews with the students.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the idea of having the physical layout of the classroom conducive to accomplishing a variety of tasks. I imagine I may have a rather rigid seating plan for the first few weeks of school and for lab work that requires the use of sensitive or fragile equipment. I can't see myself learning kids names without a seating plan. With time, however, I hope that I will become flexible enough to use the physical space as a tool for effective group work or learning centres. I have not done so in middle school, but I would like to give it a try. Getting to know students as people is extremely important, especially for the ones that give you the most trouble. I would hate to greet a student each morning with dread in my eyes. It will take effort on my part as the grown up to see past the behavior to the person.

    ReplyDelete