Monday, January 2, 2012

Chapter 2: Professional Responsibilities of Teaching Young Adolescents

While I was reading this text, I realized that I never knew there were so many different things that could be used in the classroom while teaching. One of the things that the book mentioned were the journals or periodicals that could be used by teachers and provided a list of them. I know this will be beneficial to me in the future so that I will know what journals will help me in the classroom. Another part of the text that I found interesting was the part about the preparation for field trips. I never knew before how much preparation was needed and how many details are required to plan a trip for a class. I also liked that the book gave ideas of where to take students on field trips. Another part of the chapter that I though to be very beneficial was the part about questioning students. I thought it gave many good tips such as allowing the students time to think, listening actively when the students is speaking, and to pause while talking to allow for time for students to think.

2 comments:

  1. Planning for a fieldtrip doesn't sound to difficult at first. However, even a teacher who has been teaching for many years can fail on a fieldtrip if not prepared. I have gone on the same fieldtrip for 4 out of my 6 years of teaching and let me just say that the teacher who is "lead" always has problems due to poor planning. I think the most important thing is to get parent help. We sometimes have up to 36 students in one class. That is entirely too many for one teacher to take out of the building. If you have parents, that can supervise small groups of five or six then your day goes much more smoothly. It is also beneficial to discuss expectations with students before going, assign them buddies, inform them of the group they will be in, talk about how and when and where lunch will be handled, and what appropriate behavior looks like. I would also recomment bringing an extra dose of patience with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree. Newspapers and journals are great ways to get through to the students and it adds relevancy. Primary sources and documents are one of the most important aspects when it comes to teach. It shows the relevancy and the application. When students understand why they are learning something and how they will use it, it becomes 100 times more interesting!

    ReplyDelete